Sunday, March 24, 2019

Full sentences written by a poet!

Can it really be done for an entire read-worthy post?


Well, no way to find out until we try.  Are you game?

Poetry is really a very easy genre to write.  I never have to worry about coming up with names or background info to keep people interested.  Poems are short, not much time is wasted should one not meet a readers personal taste. I think that is why they will often give a poet more than one chance to tantalize.

Personally, I believe English teachers are the main reason people shy away from poetry.  Having a person in authority telling you what you think a poem says to you is not correct will certainly curb your desire to read more.  In fact a teacher is why I did not share my poems for most of my life.  I turned one in for an assignment and was in shock when it was returned to me. I had never seen that much red ink on something with my name on it!  I did rewrite it to meet her criteria.  Unfortunately, although it was a nice poem, it no longer said what I did in the original version.
Instead of cringing when someone asks if you will read a poem, think for a moment.  Poetry is everywhere and you do too like it!  The songs you sing, the cards you send, even the advertising jingles that are stuck in your head are all poems! How they make you feel is absolutely what the poem means.  The meaning of poetry lies in the heart and soul of the reader, not in the ink flowing from the poet's pen.
LIFE JOURNEY

Each moment is a step towards our future
A journey into unknown territory
Fraught with potholes and pitfalls
We try to avoid as we move forward
With relentless determination
To be elsewhere
Believing we pave the road to our life
Creating a straight path to our past
Which we can travel at will
But as we try to return there
We find the way unclear
For all the pitfalls and potholes we missed
Or maybe we just crawled our way through
Still dot the way
Hidden in the shadows 
And we fall into them
Forming a new past
That will lead us to a different future
As we pave the detour
In our life journey


4 comments:

  1. Teachers should encourage creativity, not stifle it. And, encourage individuality. No matter, your voice has prevailed! A beautiful poem which eloquently speaks the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Teachers, of all people, should be able to detect a writer's voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think teachers believe their interpretation is the only correct one and with poetry that is never the case.

      Delete