Friday, August 9, 2019

A Wish Fulfilled

Jasmine's Wish Released in Print!

Cover designed by Erika Szabo
It has taken a long time for me to fulfill my angel's wish, but I finally did.  Now, thanks to the efforts of the very talented  Erika Szabo at Golden Box Books Publishing, the four book collection is available as one book in print!  This beautiful cover is not one I had even dreamed of, and yet it is the perfect one for the collection.  When someone creates from the heart, it touches everyone.  The funny thing is Erika offered to help me create a picture to use for a book sleeve that I was hoping to have made to hold the four books in the collection.  

Shook Studios
My plans for the art work did connect the completed project with the original version of Voices In My Head. I was trying to connect the book covers from the first editions to the final ones.  I could not decide for sure about how to put it on the box nor how to have the poem displayed. Someone was not pleased with this idea (an angel from above?).  For what ever reason, I was inspired to ask Erika for her opinion.

Because Erika designs with her heart, she knew I was going at it from the wrong direction.  The volumes needed to be connected in spirit not artwork.  Her beautiful concept joined my heart to my daughter in heaven.  The perfect dress for the collection.

Unfortunately, the company could not make less than 1000 sleeves, which is way more than I will ever need.  Erika, undaunted, suggested putting the collection together as a single book in print (it was already up as an e-book)  through Barnes and Noble.
It is now available in both print and an e-version with this cover through Barnes & Noble.  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jasmines-wish-cindy-j-smith/1131104570 and I will consider having it available for signed copies if anyone is interested.

Reading the blurb above the poem on the back cover brought back a memory of Jasmine.  As I said, she was always a captive audience for my poems, mostly by her choice.  She loved being read to and was raised on Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose so poetry was something she loved.  Also, I had 4 older sisters and we were all Girl Scouts so I knew lots of silly songs which I used to entertained her.  Growing up in the 60s, I also knew the ones from the radio like Purple People Eater, Yellow Submarine, and my personal favorite, They're Coming To Take Me Away.

On our many trips, we would always check out the tapes at the gas stations to find new things to listen to in the car.  One time I found a tape of silly songs and my favorite was on it.  I bought it and played it.  She was laughing at the songs, most of which I had forgotten, but when Take Me Away came on she went silent.  I turned to look at her and her eyes were huge and her mouth hung open.  I asked her what was wrong, I thought she was having an issue with her diabetes.  She found her voice and said, "they are singing your song."  It was at that moment I realized my child had thought all the poems I told her that she did not see in a book were written by me!  I had never even considered the possibility of that happening.  I had to burst the poor child's bubble and explain that if the poem came complete with music I did not write it.

I love you Jasmine,  hope this collection I am sending with all my heart pleases you.





2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that Erika's vision aligned with yours and Jasmine's. I think the cover is spiritually and artistically beautiful! Hugs to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so touched by the cover, Erika connected our hearts

      Delete