Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Casual Conversation #3

Visiting with UK author Rick Haynes

This chat is going to be a bit different.  Today's guest, Rick Haynes, is a new acquaintance for me too. It is nice to meet you! Can we start by having you tell us a bit about yourself?

Hello, Cindy.

I was born in London not long after WWII finished. Food rationing was still in place. Looking back,


we were a poor family, yet it didn’t matter to me. I lived outside playing in the street with the other kids and loved it.

Luckily, my schooling enabled me to pass most of my exams. Unsurprisingly, it took me three attempts to pass maths. Surprisingly, I ended up working in finance until the day I retired. Why did I work for an industry I found difficult? Simples. I loved working with people struggling to understand the plethora of ways to provide for their future. From millionaires to dustmen, I was pleased to help them make crucial decisions.

I met a beautiful lady with a heart of gold. We were both immediately smitten although it took many years to live together and finally wed. She knows all my thoughts and can read me as easily as reading a book. Sometimes, in fact, many times, I tease her but never win. But it’s fun trying.

After so many operations, I was climbing walls and sinking into a deep mire of self-pity. Yet, my lass stood by me. And when she suggested writing my feelings down, the light bulb inside my head was switched on. Going back to school was fun, this time. The members of my writing group were supportive, the teacher inspirational. I read out my first piece of work. The members tried so hard to be kind but it was crap. Decision made then. It was time to listen and learn.

Writing is now my staff of life. I have written three novels, one novella, and been involved in several anthologies as well as many short tales. My stories have been published in Scribble magazine, The Portsmouth News, The Star and Garter, The Chania Post, and sometimes I get paid. Yippee!

As much as my body will allow, I live life to the full and have much fun along the way. Without a sense of humour, I’d probably be resting in a hospital waiting for God.

Thank you for having me.






Your life has been an adventure in itself!  I am so glad your better half supported you and led you to writing.  How blessed the world is to have two people so caring in it!  If I understand correctly, your operations happened after you retired? I do hope all that is taken care of now. One of your books, Bolt Out Of The Blue, is up next on my TBR so I will have a better idea of your writing by the time this chat is really underway.  Do you prefer to write longer or shorter stories?  Which of yours was the most fun to write, and where can we find it?




I write whatever I fancy but really enjoy writing Drabbles, which are tales of exactly 100 words excluding the title, as well as short tales and novels.
Do I have a preference? Probably not. Drabbles, like any other tale, must have a beginning, middle and end but the author only has 100 words to play with.
Now that really focuses the mind. Conversely, I would add there is a wonderful sense of euphoria when a new paperback of mine is sitting in my hand.
All my books are available on Amazon and I guess, my yet to be published novel, Outcast, gave me the greatest satisfaction once I finished it.
Which one was the most fun to write? Without any doubt, Chocolate Chunks From Crazy Crete still makes me laugh.

We often visit and now have many true Cretan friends. They are zany, utterly bonkers at times, shout loudly and all have a tale to tell.
Based on their, and my own, experiences, I put together a collection of short tales.
Some are true, some are based on truth and a few are fiction - yet knowing my crazy friends - could have happened.


I have never heard of Drabbles before. They sound similar to what I have heard called "flash fiction".  It is amazing that you can write a whole story using so few words.  Do you have them in a collection?  Would you like to share one here?


Delighted to oblige, Cindy. Drabbles are indeed flash fiction.


I published two collections of short stories and Drabbles - Drabbles 'N' Shorts and 'Shorts 'N' Drabbles. Both had a good spread of English humour.
Here is one of my favourite Drabbles.

My Little Runaway.
Where are you going to my little runaway?
There’s only pain today.
Is it true you are lost my precious runaway?
Just hunger pangs today.
There’s no one at home who understands you.
So how will you cope in the cold and the dark?

Your world so empty.
Your life so sad.

There are no answers little runaway.
Where will you be sleeping tonight?
There are no sympathies precious runaway.
So how will you feel tonight?

But maybe tomorrow will be brighter.
For maybe your star will shine.
So turn around my little runaway.
Heaven’s too full of your kind.



That is awesome!  So much said in so few words!  Drabbles are powerful!  Glad to see you have collections available!  I am definitely checking them out!  What made you decide to write a full length novel?

Full length novels give more scope for greater description and development of characters. And what a feeling when you see the first printed copy of your new book.
Short tales are fun. I can, and often do, write in any genre that takes my fancy. Usually, a picture opens up my mind and my vivid imagination takes over from thereon.
However, whilst writing a novel is hard work - double checking, triple checking etc. etc.- the satisfaction when the book is finished is fantastic.

I do hope you enjoy Bolt Out of The Blue and I thank you. It was my first attempt at writing something as large as a novella.


Bolt Out of The Blue was very good.  I was a sort of expecting an "Alice in Wonderland" type story when Bolt turned out to be a white rabbit.  I am glad it wasn't.  Such an original story.  How did you come up with the idea of saving the farm?  I always thought "trusts" had time limits, is it different in the UK?

 I was fed up with reading about sex, violence, self gratification etc. and wanted to write something for all the family.
White rabbits were seen as something special, a bit magical, so I thought my tale would be good for the old and the young.
I wasn't ready to write a novel - I hadn't finished my apprenticeship so to speak - thus I decided on a novella.
Looking at a picture of a farm brought back many memories. For 5 or 6 years my family spent 2 weeks on the same farm.
My sons loved the call of nature and are now passionate about wildlife.I used my experiences as a base for the story. Along with a white rabbit, it seemed to work.
I'm no expect on trust law but I believe you can set up a lifetime trust in the UK. As someone whose father fought in WWII, the idea of going back in time seemed apt.
With so many soldiers billeted in that area, I thought the idea of US involvement would work.



 It worked perfectly!  My father and step father fought in WWII also.  Strangely I never consider how the people in Europe were and still are affected by the destruction. Bolt Out Of The Blue was interesting and even seemed possible. I loved how you pulled the end together too, unexpected yet somehow it fit.
What are you working on now? Another novel I hope!



My latest novel, not yet published, is entitled Outcast. I loved writing it as the words simply appeared.
Apart from drawing a map, and researching as I went along, I didn't pre-plan.
My main protagonist, Sigbjorn, has a host of mixed morals, like most humans.
Some readers will likely say he's vile, whilst others will applaud his desire to survive. To me, he is both.



Outcast sounds like it is going to be amazing!  I will definitely be watching for it!  Are you planning to make any of your works available in audio form?  I know lots of people are going in that direction.






Now Available
Thank you for your interest in Outcast, Cindy. I believe it's my best work so far. The eBook version of Outcast is live. And the paperback will follow as soon as I receive an acceptable proof copy.
I know Audio books are becoming very popular, and I fully understand why.
A year back, someone mentioned how expensive they were for the author to produce. I guess that remark put me off.
Maybe they were wrong and I should take a look at them in the future.
Alas, so much time and so little to do.
Only joking - do reverse that quip.









It does seem like the days are getting shorter and the "to do lists" longer as I get older. 

What is your process for finding covers?  Do they come first then the story, or do you envision the wrapper once you write "The End"? 


original cover
All but one of my book covers were made by a professional cover creator. The original cover for Heroes Never Fade was mine; I thought it great. However, whilst a top blogger in the US gave me a stunning review, he told me the cover wasn’t right for the US market. Thus, the new cover for the 2nd edition is almost ready for publication.
A great cover will, hopefully, stand out for any reader of Epic Fantasy. And in some ways it’s as important as the tale inside. As I write the story, ideas of suitable covers appear inside my head but I always wait until the first draft is ready. I’ll discuss with my excellent cover designer, give him some ideas and await his magic.
And finally.






These covers for your 2 book series are amazing!  

new cover


I have enjoyed our chat!  It was nice learning about the person behind your stories besides just hearing about the books themselves.  They are  now part of my library and I am looking forward to reading them all.  Thank you so much for taking the time to do this with me.  Sorry I made it so complicated.


Cindy, may I extend my sincere thanks to you for giving me such an opportunity.
May the sun always shine in your heart.


You can find Rick:

WEBSITE:
rickhaynesauthor.com

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/rick.haynes.9028

E-MAIL:  
profnexus@yahoo.co.uk

AMAZON:
 https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Rick+Haynes&ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_bl_sr


6 comments:

  1. Great interview Cindy! I really enjoy the personalized questions you ask, it really makes the interview interesting and enjoyable. Rick I didn't know you published the Outcast. Sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know they are being enjoyed! I am having fun!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your interview with author, Rick Haynes. Your approach brings out fascinating information. Sigbjorn sounds like an intriguing character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Rick. How strong you were to overcome these obstacles. Your books seem very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind comments and a massive thank you to Cindy for giving me the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete