Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Casual Conversation #6


Visiting with Deanie Humphrys-Dunne

Today I will be chatting with Deanie Humphrys-Dunne who writes children's books. Hello, Deanie, I would like to begin by having you tell us all a little about yourself as a way of introduction.
 
Hi Cindy, Thank you for inviting me.
I grew up on my parents' riding school called Sweetbrier and horses changed my life in amazing ways.(detailed in my book "My Life at Sweetbrier.)

When my dad was told I would never walk, he wouldn't accept that.He was determined to help me realize my dream of becoming an equestrian champion, against the odds.


Cover by Holly Humphrys-Bajaj







I've been a children's author since 2009, when my first book, "Tails of Sweetbrier" was released.  Although that book is no longer in print, we have an updated, expanded version called "My Life at Sweetbrier". It's the winner of the Mom's Choice gold medal, among others.
 

Cover by Holly Humphrys-Bajaj
In addition, we have published 4 other early chapter books; Charlie the Horse, Charlene the Star, "Charlene the Star and Hatties' Heroes," and "Charlene the Star and Bentley Bulldog." All of the fictional books are beautifully illustrated by my sister, Holly Humphrys-Bajaj.She and I love working together and we are in the process of finishing our first picture book.

Aside from writing, I love spending time with my family, watching equestrian events, and baseball games, as well as music and singing.




ILLUSTRATIONS:

Artist:  Holly Humphrys-Bajaj

Bentley Bulldog and Hattie the chicken from Charlene the Star and Bentley Bulldog










Hattie the chicken and Elliott from Charlene the Star and Hattie's Heroes

Artist:  Holly Humphrys-Bajaj

Mary and Charlene from Charlene the Star

Artist:  Holly Humphrys-Bajaj

I was going to ask you about the horses! Your sister's illustrations are wonderful!  So nice to have family support in artistic endeavors.  My sister was my editor for my first 4 poetry books and my children's books.

I don't have young ones so I have not read your books.  I just used the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon.  You seem to have a way of teaching through animals. Is that because horses were such an important part of your growing up?

Will your picture book also use animals as the main characters?


Thank you for your compliments on Holly's illustrations. She is an extraordinary talent and I love working with her.

Yes, I would say partially because many children love horses and animals.I thought it would be fun to have the animals narrate the stories. But more importantly, horses played a huge role in my childhood and my dream of becoming an equestrian champion. Horses actually changed my life because doctors said  I would never walk but that was not acceptable. My dad declared he would teach me to ride and I would be fine.
 

As you might imagine, my dad was a very determined person. He never accepted anything as fact if he felt it could be changed. We teamed up and set out to prove the doctors wrong. Eventually, doctors determined I had cerebral palsy, which affected walking. Riding horses strengthened my legs so I could walk and I won many championships with an extraordinary horse my dad bought for me named Fleet Nancy AKA Peach. Now you can see the effect horses had on my life.
Our picture book will be about a little tractor named Wilbur, who is the main character, but he will meet animals in the story. We are planning to have at least two books in the series about Wilbur.


Wilbur sounds like it will be an adorable series!  I am sure a tractor can have lots of adventures out in the fields.  It is a blessing you had a father who was so determined.  What amazing accomplishments!  Congrats!

Do your children enjoy your books?  Do they offer you ideas on what your next book should be about? Or make any other suggestions?


Thank you for the compliments on my accomplishments,but I don't think I've done anything extraordinary. My parents encouraged each of their children to persevere and never give up on their dreams. In fact our family motto was "The Humphrys don't give up." All I've done is keep that in mind.

We are hoping Wilbur will be fun for children. Generally, girls are more often interested in horses so Wilbur should interest little boys too. The first book will be about Wilbur's routine with his friend, Jim. My children do offer ideas for my books, as does my husband. They have good imaginations. My sister Holly, gives me ideas as well. I love the fact we all are involved in the process of writing children's books. Our goal is to have each book inspire children to work hard, set goals and follow their dreams because many things can be changed if you persevere.
 


It is awesome that your whole family is involved.  I know my daughter's input always meant a lot to me. 

I am sure both boys and girls will enjoy the adventures of Wilbur.

Is there any certain children's author who instilled the desire in you to write in this genre?


No, I don't think so, although I have always enjoyed reading. My parents were the first to suggest I write for children, but I thought it was a ridiculous idea. But once I had the confidence to publish my first book, I thought it was fun.

I am sure children everywhere are glad you did! I am sure they are going to love your books about Wilbur the tractor.  I have enjoyed chatting with you. Before you go, could you share some links so everyone can find you?


Thank you for everything. I hope you enjoyed our interview as much as I did. On May26th,  I celebrated that Sweetbrier is #94 in children's horse books on Amazon!! 

Where to find Deanie:
Banner is by Rhonda Patton


 www.childrensbookswithlifelessons.com/

Book2Look:

https://www.book2look.com/book/q58fhR8ly3

Amazon author page:

http://www.bit.ly/DHDbooks  
 



9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me and my books today, Cindy. It looks beautiful. I"ll be happy to answer questions for your readers if they have them. All the best to you and your fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An enjoyable interview. Kudos to both: Cindy for delving into the author's books; Deannie Humphrys-Dunne for taking a unique approach in her stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, glad you enjoyed reading about Deanie

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments, Eva. I appreciate your thoughts a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an enjoyable interview, Deanie. I can't wait until the 'Wilbur' books come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and reading it. It was fun chatting with Deanie, such and inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Deb. Wilbur will come out later this year. Holly's working on his illustrations. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete