Monday, June 17, 2019

Short Story

DEATH OF LOVE



As I looked in her eyes, I watched love die. Her tears killing the sparkle before they formed rivers on her cheek.  I felt my heart break as I realized the pain I had caused her.  She slowly turned and began leaving.   My world crumbled with every her every step.  One stupid act has lost me the best part of my life. 


Justina and I met in kindergarten.  She was the cutest girl in the class.  Her long brown hair shone like silk and had gentle curls like waves on the lake.   Looking in her hazel eyes accented the feeling of a peaceful shore. Her smile was a beacon, welcoming me home. Strangely I knew right then she would
be my wife.


Sean sat next to me on our first day of school.  I looked into is bright blue eyes and was lost.  It seemed I was floating in the sky, free from worry.  Then he smiled and I was complete.  I was his.
By high school, Justina and I were inseparable.  We took the same courses and followed our dreams.  I wrote and she painted pictures.  We were each other's inspiration.  Two halves making a whole.



Sean and I loved to be outdoors.  We would visit the shore and get lost in the rhythm of the waves.  Or, we'd take long walks through the forest listening to the animals.  It seemed their contentment was contagious.  We were one.


When we announced our engagement, no one was surprised.   Justina  picked the perfect venue.  We were married on the beach at dawn. Dressed in multicolored chiffon, she looked like Aurora, the goddess of dawn.   Our married life beginning with the day.  Our love shining bright with the sun.  Friends and family surrounding us in a cocoon of happiness.

Sean looked so handsome the morning we married.  He walked up the beach to me dressed in a white pirate shirt and jeans.  His smile lighting the way.  My heart fluttered in my chest as he took my hand.  We said our vows,  the prayers and promises our hearts wrote to each other.

Since I did web design and Justina did game programming, we were both able to work from home.  This gave us plenty of time to enjoy each other and work on our artistic endeavors.  A few of my poems and short stories were published in anthologies.  Justina's paintings were the real works of art.  Every time she had a showing, she sold out.  She could make it seem like the canvases breathed with life. 

I love reading Sean's poetry.  It seems to play my heartstrings, creating songs in my mind.  My paintings, however, became bigger sellers.  I soon found myself in demand.  I started having shows in two or three different cities each month.  Sean would come with me if he could and we would sight-see for a few hours each trip.  I loved sharing everything with him.  It made the times I went alone seem to last forever.

It is the week of our 10th Anniversary.  Justina was asked to go to Paris for a show of her work.  What a great opportunity for her, right?  I cannot go.  I have a few clients who need met them in person.  Their appointments have been set for a month.  She knows.  She is excited though.  My jealousy is eating me up.  I want her here, supporting me, celebrating with me!! 

I don't know what to do.  Our Anniversary is Friday but they want me in Paris on Monday.  Sean says it is a great opportunity and I should go.  He has appointments that he cannot break.  I would be going alone.  Paris with him would be grand!  What a great way to celebrate 10 years!  But, alone?  I am lost.

I bought Justina the ticket to France.  I know she would talk herself out of going.  It is just too good an opportunity to miss.  We will go together some day.  For now, this is her time to shine!

Sean gave me a ticket.  I am torn but excited.  My paintings at a show in Paris!  Wow!  I wish he could come.  He takes me to the airport.  Our tears flow as I turn to board the plane.  We've never been apart for a whole week before.  I change my mind and turn to go back.  He waves me on.  Go, he says.

On the way back from the airport, my jealousy really takes hold.  Why is her art treated like it is priceless while mine is just there.  It is not fair!  I work just as hard to get the words right as she does to get the colors perfect.  And, how could she leave me here alone for our anniversary?  Do her paintings mean more to her than me?  I am getting angry. There is a bar up ahead.  In I go and the drinking starts.

On the plane, my heart breaks.  I am grateful for the show in Paris and I know it means my art will be considered more worthy.  But, the timing is wrong.  I would not be able to paint without Sean.  He is my life, my muse, my heart.  This is our time, our life.  I need to go home.  I need to be with my love on our Anniversary.  We have a stopover in New York.  I will get a flight back.  I want to be home.


The blonde at the end of the bar smiles at me.  I smile back.  "Bartender, buy that nice lady a drink on me!"  He hands it to her with a nod in my direction.  She raises the glass and salutes me.  I walk over to her and sit down.  We drink for hours.  Then I see us walking into my house.  We are both a bit tipsy.  We barely make it through the door before we start removing our clothes.  Hands and mouths explore each other. I guide us to the bedroom.  Our bodies join.  Over and over we enjoy each other.  Sated we fall asleep.

The cab drops me off at the end of the driveway.  My luggage is still on the plane so it is fine with me.  I walk up, my steps quicken as I get closer to my love.   Won't he be surprised!  I open the door quietly.  Tiptoeing I make it to our bedroom. That is strange.  I swear I hear two people breathing.  I flick on the light...







The light wakes me.  Justina!  What are you doing home?  I look where she is staring.  When I look back to her I see the death of love.

7 comments:

  1. This is a heart-wrenching story! It could only end badly the way it did. Insecurities can wreak havoc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huggles thank you for reading it. Jealousy and insecurity cause lots of heartache.

      Delete
  2. Indeed a heart-wrenching story! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Tore at my heart. I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great story! My compliments!

    ReplyDelete