Saturday, June 1, 2019

The Making of Casual Conversations


How I Get People To Open Up


Hi!  Welcome back!  Today I would like to explain the process of making my "Casual Conversation" pieces and the reason I decided to try.

I noticed most of the "author interviews" posted on social media had the same thing in common.  They were a list of questions and answers. Most of them even had the same questions, just in a different order.  I thought they were stiff, and actually boring. Also, when I attempted to participate in some, I found that my genre, poetry, does not do well using that format. 

I wanted to read about the person, to know how they ticked,  I wanted to know who they were so I could get a better understanding of their works.  I knew they were authors, I knew they created characters.  I wanted to know the "whys" not just the "whats".

I listened to some podcast interviews and even participated in one of those but I still felt boxed in by an agenda.  


When I started this blog, I had no idea what to write about.  So I decided to try my hand at interviews.  I would make them fresh!  I would change the way they were done!  I would...DO IT MY WAY!!!!  

I needed to decide what "My Way" would entail.  I do not use WORD at all, so I had to figure out how to interview using just text docs.  Then it came to me!  I would use a text doc and send it back and forth.  Start with an introduction and then base the questions on the previous answers!  No list to choose from, no way to know what my next question will be!

I wanted the chat to appear friendly, not stiff, so I decided to separate our remarks with color.  My questions and comments would be dark purple and the person with whom I am chatting would have their words colored in their favorite color! I then added pictures to brighten it and highlight different remarks.



I was talking to Erika Szabo and brought up my idea.  She not only thought it might be interesting, she agreed to be my guinea pig!  My first Interview was born!  https://cindysvoices.blogspot.com/2019/04/a-causual-conversation.html


 I posted this first interview and Eva Pasco was intrigued! She volunteered to be my second!

Thus, "Casual Conversations" was born!

My way of interviewing is a bit odd.  I send a text message with one question, you add your answer and send it back.  Then I come up with question # 2 and we go back and forth. Using this style is a bit more complicated.  However I put no time restraints on replies. 
 
Why not visit my Interview Page and see how great they are!  Then decide for yourself if this is something you would like to try!

I would like to chat with everyone...authors, readers, bloggers,promoters, cover designers, publishers, makers of swag.  I want the world to know each of you as a real person. I want your profile pic to come alive!

If you would like to chat with me,  leave me a comment and we can get started!
 


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea, Cindy! I'd love to be interviewed in the future. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I shy away from boring interviews, but with Cindy, it was interesting, interactive, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an honor to participate in your casual conversation. I know your creation is going to be contagious!

    ReplyDelete