Saturday, April 13, 2019

Marketing Experiment

Rhymes Through Time



I was getting frustrated trying to figure out how to market poetry books.  I had two out, Voices In My Head and They Won't Shut Up but sales were flat-lined. Those that had the first two wanted me to publish again, but I really could not find a legitimate reason to pour more money down this seemingly bottomless pit. 

Cost was not my only deterrent. I had the poems, I had more than enough of them to publish another book.  The problem was I could not find a cover that would connect to the first two books.  I figured I would wait it out and see if a solution would come to me.

Suddenly an idea light-bulb had appeared inside my head!  Amazon had Kindle Unlimited!  I could have a small book with samples of the first two and some new stuff and offer it there!  I would be letting people see what I do and advertising all three books at the same time!

A dear friend, Wren Liddle, created a beautiful cover for me and I set about deciding how to do the interior.  Since it was a sample book, I decided not to sort the poems into sections like I had the first two. Instead, I decided it would be completely random. I selected poems from each book and from those unused on my computer by pulling their titles out of a hat.  Then I placed all the selected titles in the hat and picked the order they would appear.

I published Rhymes Through Time only as an e-book and submitted it to Kindle Unlimited.  Unfortunately, by the time I decided to play with KU, the rules had changed and not in a way that benefited a poetry book.  I removed it from the service but left it available as an e-book.  I assumed that since it had poems already available in print no one would care to have it in paperback. It was several years later that I was talked into having a print version created.  With a back cover poem already written, and the help of my friend Erika Szabo, https://www.goldenboxbooks.com, I quickly had my third book in print.




It has been a while but, Rhymes Through Time is again being used as an experiment.  At the suggestion of Erika, I submitted it to be formatted as an audio book.  It is being narrated by Linda A. Hynson and will soon be available on ACX!  In fact, I just listened to the first 15 minutes and accepted it!  To hear my poems read by such a talented woman is a surreal experience.  I am beyond excited!  Erika again came to my rescue when she informed me a new cover would be needed for the audio book as it had to be designed as a square.  This is the gorgeous cover she created for me!


 

I  am looking forward to hearing the completed book!  Will more audio books be coming?  I am not sure.
Find Cindy on her:
Website:
http://carternovels.com/author-cindy-j-smith.html
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/cindysvoices
FB:  https://www.facebook.com/CindysVoices/
GOODREADS:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6505989.Cindy_J_Smith
Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/cindyjsmith1/



4 comments:

  1. The audiobook will be amazing with Linda's narration. Thank you for letting me listen to the first few minutes of the recording!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for everything...your friendship, your encouragement, and your publishing assistance. I am forever in your debt.

      Delete
  2. I love how you continue to evolve. The new cover for 'Rhymes Through Time' is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete